Someone suggested it was a good idea to have a prominent place to view prints which aren’t quite ‘there’ yet. So I took the door from an old Compaq tape robot (about 4 feet by 2 feet) stripped the paint off it and hung it on the wall. Magnets hold the prints. The print in the top left looks strange because I didn’t fix it…an experiment in how it will degrade over time.
A little experiment with the americium source from an old ionization smoke detector.
I think the exposures were 15 minutes and 1 hour. The smaller spots were with the source resting on top of the film. The larger one was with the source taped to the inside of the ‘dark box’, about 1 inch away. The film is regular x-ray film, which is just normal film with 2 layers of emulsion. It has no special x-ray sensitivity.
I now have a Kodak Aero Ektar lens with thorium glass. It appears to be quite a bit more active than the americium. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.
As promised, this blog started life in an abandoned state. Here are a few ‘catch-up’ posts…